Performs varied para-professional library duties and clerical-administrative work in the Youth Services department; assists youth and parents in using library services and facilities; and assists with department activities, such as programs and special projects.
- Receives oral or written instructions from the Youth Services Director.
- Plans work according to established procedures.
- Prioritizes tasks within work assignment.
- Suggests purchase of books and other materials.
- Conducts story times for pre-school children.
- Provides individual instruction in the use of library services and facilities, including search of catalog files, use of reference sources, and related information.
- Supervises youth in regular visits to library.
- Assists youth in locating materials and information for research or study projects.
- Assembles and arranges displays of books and other materials.
- Prepares posters, bulletins, and newsletters to promote use of library and facilities.
- Operates equipment as needed.
- Prepares lists, reports, and other information.
- Participates in inventory of books and materials.
- Prepares narrative and statistical reports for supervisor.
- Performs routine library services.
- Assumes responsibility for department in temporary absence of a librarian.
- Performs additional duties as assigned including serving on task forces, committees, etc.
- Attends staff meetings and may participate in community and professional library organizations.
- High school diploma or G.E.D.
- Bachelor's Degree in a field consistent with the responsibility of the position or equivalent experience highly preferred.
- Ability to work effectively with library staff and patrons.
- Ability to relate in a friendly and open manner with youth and parents.
- Ability to relate and interact with school and cultural organizations needed.
- Ability to effectively present ideas, provide instruction, and to perform story times and other presentations.
- Artistic skills used in creating posters, displays, etc.
- Ability to acquire skills to operate computer applications for library services.
Receives general supervision from the Youth Services Director.
Must be able to work two evenings a week and two Saturdays a month.
- Salary is dependent on qualifications and experience with a target hiring range of $20,000 to $27,000 per year.
- 40 hours a week.
- Health, dental, and vision benefits available.
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays.